Monday, July 25, 2005

The Imposter Syndrome

(Post written by Cathy, a friend now working in corporate America)

Even after completing my Masters Degree, I still couldn't shake the feeling that it was only a matter of time before people discovered me as an "imposter"; I thought it only a matter of time before my supervising colleagues would walk into my office and expose me for the fraud that I believed myself to be. They never did. In fact, they continued to be impressed with my performance and professional aptitude. Nonetheless, I remained paranoid.Why did I refuse to see myself as the bright and capable woman that everyone else believed me to be? Dr. Linda Young's article perfectly articulated why -- The Imposter Syndrome. Hopefully this article will liberate you in the same way it liberated me. Dr. Young's article came at the most oportune time. Her research and personal insights were nothing short of liberating. (http://www.impostersyndrome.com)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Thank you for posting that - very interesting!

I remember writing a poem about my own feelings of being an imposter for a creative writing class in university. I don't remember much of it now (and, of course, can't find it), but the last line went something like: "and fear they will see I'm a fraud."

Definite food for thought. Thanks again!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

jen,

if you could find that poem, we would post it as well! :)

caroline

10:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks, Caroline! :) I hope it will turn up when I'm settled in my new apartment. I'm hoping a lot of things will turn up when I'm settled in my new apartment... ;)

6:05 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

jen,
i'm feeling the same way. i just moved homes and offices all in the same week. ahh! feeling settled again is something that i only dream about.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home