Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Loss of Brother Roger

"Brother Roger, one of the 20th century’s leading ecumenical figures, was stabbed to death by a woman during a service on Tuesday at the Taize community he founded in eastern France, local police said. Police said a woman stood up during a religious ceremony attended by some 2,500 people and stabbed Brother Roger three times in the throat. The 90-year-old died immediately."

When reading the news of Brother Roger's death, I was overwhelmed with grief. How can I feel a need to mourn the loss of a man that I have never met before? Somehow, I feel the same connection with Brother Roger that I feel with other heroes, Oscar Romero, Henri Nouwen, Mother Theresa, and the like. I have dreamed of visiting the Taize community to worship with them there.

Today, as I participate with so many others globally by praying the daily offices, my prayers focus on Taize, their community, and the life of Brother Roger. "Dear Lord, help us give our lives to prayer. May our love for connection with you draw others into your Kingdom."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home