Sunday, September 25, 2005

Interesting Question

Today, the 7th and 8th grade Sunday School teacher asked me a very interesting question on her way to class. Apparently, they were discussing what parts of themselves they hide from the outside world.

Her questions, "What do you miss most from your childhood? Did you have a secret pleasure that you miss giving up?"

My answer that came without hesitation: playing with Barbies. What?! That was the best that I could do? Still, as I look back on her question, my answer remains the same.

When I began 6th grade at the middle school in my hometown, I made two drastic decisions the week before school began. First, I would have my waist-length, perfectly straight hair cut and permed. Second, I would pack up all of my Barbies. Both decisions still leave a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

That first day at our middle school brought all sorts of changes for my girlfriends. Looking down the hall that first day, I noticed many girls who had snuck to shave their legs without asking their mothers. Secret lipgloss and padded bras filled lockers and backpacks down that long, sixth grade hall. Who were we trying so desperately to impress?

Looking back, my sadness comes for two decisions made based on the opinions of others. At that point, I still loved my long hair and playing with dolls. Both kept me a little girl just a bit longer. I pray as my life as a twentysomething quickly ticks to an end, my decisions will not come as a result of someone else's opinion. My life is between God and myself right now, and He keeps making things clearer and clearer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Great post

5:37 AM  
Blogger Dsrtrosy said...

Hun, you will have to read the book I got at Glorietta: "Eve's Revenge". It's about how our view of our own bodies informs and is informed by our spirituality, culture, dreams, etc. SO GOOD!

I love the idea of the alabaster jar and I want to use that in the women's web site for emergent in some way--perhaps the section for women in ministry. The whole story of what that meant for women of Jesus' time and culture is so poignant to me...I'm glad you're using it here. Can't wait to have somewhere else to go with it, but at the moment we are still trying to work out the technical details. I'll keep you posted! Love ya, --Sarah--

1:29 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

sarah, awesome to hear from you. your post made my day. i have a sermon on the alabaster jar i can send you. the image is super-easy to work with.

have the best day!

love, caroline

8:12 PM  
Blogger Dsrtrosy said...

Yes, please send it. I love anything I can get my hands on about this: dsrtrosy@hotmail.com

YOU ROCK!

I have almost decided to get the nose ring!!!!!!!! HEHEHEHE

10:28 PM  
Blogger Tony Myles said...

I miss eating candy without worrying about the consequences.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home