Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Problem of the Narnia Film

Terrifying words!!!! As a lifelong Narnia fan, I've been counting down the days to see The Chronicles on the big screen. However, I stumbled upon this letter written by C.S. Lewis to an inquirer about an adaptation of the books.

Will a film stimulate or stifle our imaginations?

Should Disney not produce to honor ole Jack's wishes?

What do you think?



Dear Sieveking

(Why do you 'Dr' me? Had we not dropped the honorifics?) As things worked out, I wasn't free to hear a single instalment of our serial [The Magician's Nephew] except the first. What I did hear, I approved. I shd. be glad for the series to be given abroad. But I am absolutely opposed - adamant isn't in it! - to a TV version. Anthropomorphic animals, when taken out of narrative into actual visibility, always turn into buffoonery or nightmare. At least, with photography. Cartoons (if only Disney did not combine so much vulgarity with his genius!) wld. be another matter. A human, pantomime, Aslan wld. be to me blasphemy.

All the best, yours C. S. Lewis

4 Comments:

Blogger ~Becca~ said...

I think the Entertainment world as C.S. Lewis saw it then is different than now.

Watch the Hobbit in it's musical cartoon version, then watch the new release of the Lord of the Rings.these are two very different beasts.

Today, animation is combined with real life, to breath life into somthing that once, could only be imagined, and now can be created into somthing beyond imagination.

I hope C.S. Lewis would be proud to have his film created, and hopefully , if it is as good as I'm hoping will become an epic.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I hope so too. I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Songbird said...

I think he really feared a guy in a moldering lion suit (which is what we got in the BBC's otherwise pretty charming adaptation). I'm still not sure any version of a lion will match up to my image of Aslan, which has been in development since about 1969!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I am wondering how they will create something as wonderful as the image we hold of Aslan in our imaginations.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home