Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Advent. . .Preparing the Way

"Advent is a time of joyful anticipation of the realization of God's promise."

Last Sunday, my sermon focused on the third Sunday of Advent, Gaudete Sunday (meaning "rejoice"). Since I have spent the last 15 years in churches that do not celebrate the Advent season, I had to gather all sorts of materials and research. In fact, I was a teenager when I last worshipped in a church that celebrated Advent (funny, I'm back at that same church again!).

The beauty of the season overwhelms me.

Each color of the candles on the wreath, the symbols on the crismon tree, the prophets, the angel, the annunciation, the Magi, the young mother. . . all pointing and yearning for the coming Christ-child.

Wrapped in rags and humanity, lying in a stable slept God made human. All of creation had been waiting for that very moment since the beginning of time.

Now we wait too. Some of us wait for His presence in our hearts. Broken hearts and phones not ringing cause us to wait. Some wait for His healing. Some wait for His life. All wait. And wait.

Come, Lord Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home