Friday, February 03, 2006

Bono, the International Hero


In a statement today, Bono said: "It must be an emergency when an Irish rock star is being invited to speak at the National Prayer Breakfast and the House Democrat annual retreat all on the same day. And it is. Because in this long day 6,500 Africans will die of AIDS and 110 million kids won't get to go to school. The good news is that politicians on both sides, and more importantly the people who elect them, are all joining as ONE against AIDS and the extreme poverty in which it thrives. The great news will be when the effective programs to beat AIDS and extreme poverty are finally fully funded."

In a recent survey that Emergent sent me, I was asked a frightening question, "Who do you trust?" Howard Gardner, the highly respected psychologist out of Harvard University, is studying current cultural trends in trust. He claims it is the root of our political and spiritual leanings. He contacted Emergent to get their spin on things. After reading through the list of names, reflecting current political, spiritual, educational, and journalistic voices, I was left with one conclusion. Bono is one of the only public figure that I really trust.

Don't get me wrong, I have been a fan since I first listened to "The Joshua Tree" album as a jr. high student at Conyers Middle School. He has carried me through many relationships, long road trips, dance parties, and late nights. Zoo TV and Vertigo are two nights that I will never forget. However, Bono has become more than a rock star to me.He has become a hero. What does that tell me about our culture? Have I officially bought in to the media's propaganda campaign? Is his PR person the real star? Or, has our world reached a stage in globalization and true consumerism where we can not take this anymore? Is Bono the only voice we hear crying out that sounds a bit like Amos, Isaiah, or Jeremiah?

I'll go ahead and put my money on him to win the Nobel Peace Prize this year. What happens to our world when the spiritual and political community follows a rock star?

2 Comments:

Blogger Gisele said...

So incredible. Thanks for sharing, Caroline. That is amazing.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice said...

But why shouldn't an artist be a hero? So many heros have been soldiers and athletes, so why not an artist for a change?

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home