Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The $50 T-shirt ending poverty. . . .

On Sunday, I made a special trip to the GAP to pick up a (RED) shirt. Seems that Bono and Oprah have teamed up on behalf of poverty and AIDS in Africa. Wow--it seems that they have nailed my demongraphic--all the things I love. . . the GAP, Oprah, Bono, and Africa outreach. This is awesome! I can shop, listen to Oprah and Bono, and it goes to Africa. Perfect.

It was perfect until I picked up the t-shirt that read "inspi(red)" across the front. It was $50. That makes the mark-up on the shirt much greater than the $10 that is donated from my purchase. A normal t-shirt at the GAP doesn't cost $40. They are making a profit.

It just didn't sit well. Part of me started to feel guilty for the mass amount of t-shirts in my closet. In fact, I had spent the day before unloading the winter clothes and packing up m summer gear.

So, I will not purchase a red "inspi(red)" shirt from the GAP. Sorry Oprah. My apologies Bono. I will look for another way to give.

6 Comments:

Blogger revabi said...

You are kidding me that it is $50, and they are only giving $10 per shirt? Who gets the other $40? I think I will find another way to give to Africa also. Way too much.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

You might find Mike Todd's take on this interesting...there's a good discussion going on here
http://miketodd.typepad.com/waving_or_drowning/2006/10/please_stick_wi.html

My youngest is very keen indeed on the (Red)phone, although he doesn't strictly need a new phone at all...Do I applaud his urge to help or lament his susceptibility to media hype?

4:15 AM  
Blogger will smama said...

I too was hoping for more from this campaign and was a bit surprised that Bono and Oprah didn't demand more since we know they could.

We have been playing with the idea of getting an ipod and looked to see how much the red ones cost... only $10 goes towards the charity for each overpriced ipod. Are you kidding me?

8:14 AM  
Blogger RevErikaG said...

My husband wanted one of these tees too...I could not believe how cheaply they were made! I wanted to support Bono and the red campaign....I'm going to give the money to another charity and wear the red shirt I've got! Thanks for airing this truth@

10:30 AM  
Blogger Abbey of the Arts said...

Thanks for this post, I had no idea they were $50. My first reactio to this campaign was how sad it was that the only way we can find to motivate people to give money is to connect it back to shopping for more stuff. I wish there were more critical consciousness around this. Why don't they suggest forgoing yet another t-shirt (or iPod or whatever else) and sending the $50 straight to Africa? Blessings, Christine

1:22 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Good for you- there is too much fake charity around!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home