Friday, November 24, 2006

I Feel Like Eve

I feel like Eve. The apple looks so good; I might do just about anything to have one. God placed the fruit in the Garden of Eden and told Eve to keep her hands off. My temptation is a little different. The apple of my eye is a 13-inch, white MacBook laptop.

Last week, a cute guy working on his Mac while sipping coffee in Starbucks told me countless reasons why the Mac is a vital necessity in my life. Writing would be so much more convenient on the Mac, and it would catapult my creativity. My i-pod would be compatible for music, and I could take the cute little computer with me anywhere. I must have one.

So, I have devised a plan. If everyone gave me an apple gift card for Christmas (this is a hint; all of you should be reading this article), it would bite a chunk out of the cost of my Mac. I could save each month and shoot to write these articles on my new MacBook somewhere around February. Wanting takes planning.

My three-year-old niece knows how it feels to really want something as well. As we sat on Thanksgiving morning and watched the Macy’s Day Parade, Sarah Grace shouted, “I want that!” after each commercial. The Disney Princesses Ocean Salon; “I want that!” A Barbie ballerina DVD; “I want that!” Dora the Explorer Talking Cash Register; “I want that!” When we heard, “I want . . . oh, never mind,” we knew that the Charmin commercial had thrown Sarah Grace off her consumptive track of desire.

A friend discovered a clever ploy to trick himself out of overspending. Personalizing his credit card cut his spending by 30 percent. Instead of printing a picture of his family or his pet on the face of the credit card, he decided to let Clark Howard’s mug shot glare back at him each time he took the card out to make a purchase. The twinge of guilt after asking “what would Clark Howard buy?” stopped his shopping before he could even reach the counter. It seems that we will try anything to cut the growing need to own more to gain satisfaction.

What drives our need to have more?

Many people keep quoting the verse from Psalm 37 that reads, “Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Does this really refer to any of our desires? We have manipulated this verse in such a way to support our temptation to have more. Whether we want a Mac, a Barbie dream house, a new job, or a boyfriend, none of these wishes are promised to us. Wanting does not guarantee receiving.

In 1 Chronicles, King David speaks out on behalf of his son, Solomon, as they prayed to consecrate the temple. King David told of all they willingly had given in order to build this temple for God. He prayed in 1 Chronicles 1:14-18, "But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? . . . . And now I have seen with joy how willingly your people who are here have given to you. O LORD, God of our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Israel, keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever, and keep their hearts loyal to you.”

The “desire of their heart” was generosity. God meets our needs as our requests reflect the heart of Jesus. This Christmas, what is on your Christmas list? What can we generously give away?

2 Comments:

Blogger jledmiston said...

What a good post. Thanks for sharing what we struggle with every day.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

with you struggling all the way!
peace and blessings
Sally

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home