Sunday, December 31, 2006

The 30-Day Challenge: 2007

I absolutely love New Year’s Resolutions. We can stop and dream of grand or miniscule changes to help create the life just around the corner that we imagine. Resolutions bring direct effects; the future stands at our fingertips. All we need to do is reach out and touch it.

My resolutions in the past resembled great scenes from romantic comedies. Maybe they were just my own futile attempts to become Julia Roberts, Meg Roberts, or (most importantly) Audrey Hepburn, but these resolutions took great thought and consideration as I planned for the year.

In 1996, I vowed on New Year’s Eve to have breakfast at Tiffany’s. Now, I was not planning to eat pancakes at the jewelry counter. My resolution mimicked what still stands as my favorite movie of all time. Like Holly Golightly, I dreamed of strolling up to the picture window in New York City, bagel and coffee in hand, and then looking inside at the marvelous diamonds. That summer, my two oldest friends, Jennifer and Melanie, hopped on a plane with me. We hit New York with a fury, wearing oversized black sunglasses, just like Audrey Hepburn.

Grand Canyon trips and hot-air balloon rides checked off my list as the years passed. However, those resolutions gave me quick scenes in my life, but they end so quickly. This year, my friend, Carey, has inspired me to a new type of resolution. She created the 30-Day Challenge for herself as she launched into her 30th year of life. Carey (who I plan to have over for dinner next month since she will not be eating out) designed a series of challenges, each lasting 30 days, to take her through her year. The challenges are ideas that make life better if we changed them. They are concepts we are not doing in our lives currently, or they are things we would be better off without. Each task is big enough to bring great change if executed daily. Still, they are manageable since each will end in a month.

As I sit a day away from New Year’s Eve, my plans go further than my outfit for the evening. It is time to draft my list that holds my challenges for every day.

January: write a letter and mail it
February: no caffeine
March: create art
April: no eating out or fast food (does Starbuck’s count?)
May: do something I have never done before
June: no vain spending (hair, nails, make-up, smelling things, shoes, purses, etc)
July: work to make my dreams come true
August: connect with someone
September: walk in someone else’s shoes
October: eat organic
November: in bed by 10 p.m. and up by 6 a.m
December: be 10 minutes early to all commitments

The seasons of 2007 hold all sorts of surprises. However, we have the patterns and cycles that do not change because the Spirit directs them. The season of Lent grants focus and cleansing as we look at the sacrifice of Jesus. The season of Spring brings new life and hope. The season of Summer offers us rest and connection with memories and friends we need and love. The season of Advent brings hope as we prepare the way for the coming Messiah.

As our hands fill in our calendars and our day wash by us, may 2007 hold intentional change for you as well. Let us slow down our pace or pick up our Cross. Whatever you add or take away this year, I pray that it brings you closer to the God who knows you already.

Now, I must go and make my list for my letters. January is just around the corner.

1 Comments:

Blogger hipastorzwife2B said...

What a great idea!
and how deliberate.
Definately something to think about...maybe as a birthday thing though.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home